Welcome to my Web Site! Our 2019-20 school year is about to begin!
I am excited to begin my 13th year of teaching here at BHHS! I will be teaching Integrated Math and Intro to Coding this year. I also have the pleasure of being the ASB Leadership class teacher. I am looking forward to increasing our school spirit and working with the great group of kids in ASB. As many of you have heard, we are now implementing the CA Common Core Framework as the basis of our content being taught. This means your student can expect my classroom atmosphere to be very different. I am excited for the challenge of changing our student's approach toward learning. In general, these new standards will help our students become stronger and more independent thinkers and learners. Some will embrace the opportunity, and some will feel very uncomfortable because the learning environment may be very different than what they are used to. I know if we all work together toward accomplishing the learning goals, we will succeed! Change can be difficult, but I know that when we persevere through the struggles, we will all emerge stronger, smarter, and more prepared for our futures!
If you would like to donate any supplies to our classroom so that I can provide your student with opportunities to experience mathematics through projects and classroom activities, please see my "wish list" at the bottom of the page.
My family and I moved here to California in 2007 from Georgia, where we lived for about 7 years. I have one daughter who has graduated college from The University of California - Santa Barbara. I also have two sons, PJ and Thomas who are both currently in college. I also have two big babies: Bella and Babs our Rottweilers are about 9 years old now. I have a wide variety of past experiences in teaching and education in general. I started my professional career as a computer programmer. After 5 years in the business world, I returned to college for two years to earn my teacher certification. I taught Computer Science and Mathematics at Muskego High School in Wisconsin for the next 5 years. Then I moved to Georgia where I spent time teaching High School Math, teaching Technology Staff Development classes to college faculty and staff, and also working as the Technology Coordinator at an elementary school in Gwinnett County Georgia.
All my experiences have brought me to appreciate teaching even more than ever before. I LOVE Teenagers! Honestly! I cannot see myself doing any other job for the rest of my life!
What I believe...
- I believe ALL students have the capability to grasp mathematical concepts regardless of their previous experiences. If I have high expectations for all of my students, and I believe in their capabilities, then nothing is impossible.
- Students, just like our children, will live up to whatever we expect of them. We must expect and accept only the BEST! We must be strict and consistent which DOES NOT always make them happy. The best lessons my parents ever taught me came from the moments that I was extremely UNHAPPY with them!
- “Triumph” starts with “TRY” and ends with “UMPH” : always try and put some “UMPH” into it, and you can succeed.
- DISCONTENT is the first NECESSITY to progress. I believe that when a student is confused and frustrated they are in the best state of mind for learning to occur.
- I believe in a life-long attitude that there is always more to be learned. The more I learn...the more I realize how much there is that I DO NOT know! The smarter I get, the dumber I feel!! And that makes me continuously want to get smarter!!
- Students who feel like they cannot succeed mathematically have been taught that at some point in their life. Humans are inherently mathematical beings, but many of us have learned NOT to be mathematical. We must undo that belief and get back to the thinking capabilities that we were born with!! It is a process, and this class is the first step to breaking down those false beliefs!!
My Classroom Wish List:
- Hand Sanitizer pumps
- Colored pencils and/or markers
- glue sticks
- Kleenex Tissues (we need lots of these!!)
- Paper Towels
- Colored Copy Paper
- Construction Paper
- Regular #2 Pencils
Thanks for your Participation! I am looking forward to a productive year!