Welcome to the BHHS Community Service Home Page!
Students at Beverly Hills High School have a long and proud tradition of participation with community service activities. In fact, we are proud to say that our students perform an astonishing amount of community service, averaging over 30,000 hours annually! Our school and local community have been blessed with this unselfish generosity of time and energy performed voluntarily by our students toward the benefit of others.
Community Service Requirements and Important Information
What is Community Service?
- Performing community service hours is NOT a graduation requirement at BHHS. It is strictly OPTIONAL.
- Transcripts will no longer indicate Community Service ‘credit’ for performing 15+ hours in a semester.
- Students who complete 100 hours or more, in one calendar year, can request BHHS to apply for a President’s Volunteer Service Award (PVSA) on their behalf. To keep track, see the Student Survey on Naviance for this purpose. There will be an announcement in the bulletin each January about how to apply for the award.
A broad definition of community service would be … “services volunteered by individuals or organizations to benefit a community or its institutions”. Community service is when you do something for someone else without the intentions of getting a reward or money. Community Service can be one time events or ongoing activities. Community service hours can only be granted for supervised volunteer work performed for non-profit institutions, businesses, agencies, etc. Volunteering at a ‘for profit’ business (e.g., medical office, law office, retail store, etc.) is NOT considered community service, unless the business is sponsoring a non-profit event, fund raiser, organization, etc. Besides the personal satisfaction of making a positive impact on the lives of others in need, the additional benefits of participating in community service activities include:
- Extracurricular activities and awards indicated on college applications can have a positive effect
- Opportunities for professional and social networking
- Gaining an insight toward various professions and the potential to validate a career interest
- Building a stronger resume (‘Related Work Experience’ or ‘Volunteer Experience’)
- Earning the trust of supervisors that can serve as ‘work references’ for future jobs/internships
- Qualifying for the President’s Volunteer Service Award (PVSA)
- Creating a greater feeling self-worth and confidence, along with participating as part of a team
For questions related to the BHHS Community Service program, please contact:
Coordinator, Career Education
Beverly Hills High School, Rm. 290
Phone: (310) 551-5100 ext. 8292